Honestly, I could not come up with a detailed review for this movie! This movie is like any other movie starring Vijay with the usual quota of songs, fight sequences, family sentiments, perverted villains…I think you get the idea. So here is something more straight forward if you are planning to watch the movie.
Reasons to watch Velayudam
- You are a die hard Vijay fan! Lets face it! The guy dances like a dream and pulls of all the funny punch lines with a serious face
- You are a sucker for “anna-thangachi” sentiments
- You like Santhanam – honestly the man did not have much screen footage in the movie but still managed to hold his own
- You want to kill a few hours of your day doing something senseless
- You like cheesy songs that go “Chillax Baby”!!! Ughhhh…
- You like action sequences which are insanely impossible and senseless murder!
- You like pretty actresses who smile a lot and dance some and don’t do much otherwise. Btw their fashion sense is close to that of the junior artists gyrating in the back ground!!
Reasons not to watch Velayudam
- You like movies with components like scripts, stories, asthetics etc., These components are blissfully absent in this movie
- You think heroines should have author backed roles. Please see point 1. Since those components are missing, no matter what Genelia tells the papers none of the heroines have different or strong character roles. But yes, she does manage to do a good job looking scared and helpless…great expressions! And love the Indi chick look….
- You hate perverted villains – this movie is so full of them that it is disturbing
- You like movies that have soulful music and like it when the songs stick to your head when you leave the theatre…all absent in this movie!
- You are waiting for a “different” movie starring Vijay. I think you would do better to wait until the release of “Nanban”!
All said and done, the first half of the movie which is a mish mash of movies like Anniyan, kandasamy etc., is watchable / bearable. If you do intend on watching the movie please check in your brains outside the theatre!! In case you plan to wait until the DVD release, you should ask your brains to “Chillax” when you watch the movie!